Your first examination will include:
Examination of the teeth
We examine your teeth and existing dental work for stains, chips, cracks, cavities, malformations, excessive wear and mobility.
Soft tissue examination (oral cancer screening)
We will examine your cheeks, roof of the mouth, throat, tongue, floor of the mouth, and your lips. We look for any problems that you may have including ulcers, oral cancer, cysts, and benign tumors.
Periodontal (gum) screening and recording
The BPE (basic periodontal exam) is a routine part of every examination for patients 18 and older. It is a simple test specially designed for early detection of periodontal disease. This is important because periodontal disease is the number one cause of tooth loss in adults. Early detection means early treatment for healthier gums.
We take necessary digital dental radiographs of your back teeth, and supporting structures of the jaws. With the aid of these x-rays we will be able to determine:
- Gum disease (periodontal disease)
- Abscesses and other infections
Jaw-joint and muscle examination
This examination determines if the jaw joints and muscles are healthy and functioning properly and includes physical tests on the TMJ (temporo mandibular joint) such as:
- Palpation (pressing various areas)
- Range of motion tests
Evaluation of your bite
This examination determines how the upper and lower teeth function (or malfunction) in relation to one another. This helps us to determine:
- Proper and/or improper alignment of the teeth and jaws and any excessive wear patterns on teeth
- Premature contacts on teeth that can cause fractured teeth or headaches
Personalised treatment plan
After all the necessary information has been gathered we will construct an ideal treatment plan that will correct any problems and prevent future ones.
We will explain our findings and:
- Present the treatment plan that represents the best treatment available
- Explain the consequences of not having treatment
- Discuss the alternatives available for treatment
- Discuss the cause of gum disease, dental decay, bite problems, the systemic links and the preventative measures that can improve your dental health
- Provide an itemised quote and offer the opportunity to join one of our monthly payment schemes.